South Pass City
In 1867, this mining-town had become the largest settlement in the Wyoming Territory. The Oregon Trail had passed nearby, making its way through South Pass, and there was an active stage stop and telegraph station here. But then, gold was discovered, and South Pass City had become a bustling community of 3,000 inhabitants. The town had grown around the “Miner’s Delight Lode”, attracting hopefuls from all over the world.
South Pass City, in it’s heydey, had 6 general stores and 3 butcher shops. There were several restaurants, two breweries, 7 blacksmith shops, 5 hotels, and dozens of saloons. The legendary Esther Hobart Morris called South Pass City home. Mrs. Morris was the first woman judge in America, in South Pass City, and would become a great leader for Women’s Suffrage, and a Wonder of Wyoming.
South Pass City is called by many a Wyoming ghost-town, yet it never has totally died. There are 25 old buildings that still stand, and some 30,000 authentic artifacts at the South Pass City State Historic Site.