Point of Rocks
Its name is taken from the nearby sandstone ridge that juts over Bitter Creek. Point of Rocks is located 25 miles east of Rock Springs, Wyoming, and it was a focal “point” for the delivery of mail, miners, and the railroad. And today, Point of Rocks is the point of a seven-mile spur of railroad that heads north to the Jim Bridger Power Plant.
Point of Rocks was a important landmark and stop along the Overland Trail in the mid-1800’s. It was also a Pony Express Station, a stage station, and a staging point for miners into the goldmines at South Pass and Atlantic City, during the goldrush of the 1860’s. Point of Rocks was also an important shipping point for western stockmen wanting to send sheep and cattle to markets in Omaha and Chicago.