Pacific Springs was originally discovered by the Sublette brothers in 1820. But it was during the Great Migration, some 20 years later, when this oasis along the Oregon Trail took its name. This was a perfect place where those weary travelers could stop and rest, and it was here that those hearty souls could drink from waters that would eventually flow to the Pacific Ocean.
Pacific Springs is located in present-day Fremont County, just a few miles west of South Pass, and it also marked the halfway point of the long journey from Missouri to the Oregon Territory. The town of Pacific Springs was founded in 1853, and there are still 8 structures that remain. There was a stagecoach stop and a pony express station located in the area of the famed Halter and Flick Ranch near Pacific Springs in the 1860’s.