It was first known as Solomon’s Temple, named in 1843 by pioneer explorer John Boardman. It was just a few years later that this natural Wonder took its current name, Church Buttes. It’s an open-air cathedral carved over time by Mother Nature. These weathered, rocky spires form the buttes that stand tall 10 miles southwest of Granger, Wyoming, on the Black’s Fork Road in Uinta County.
Church Buttes is another of Wyoming’s landmarks along the routes taken by settlers during the Great Migration, and would serve as a temple of sorts for those traveling the Oregon and Mormon Trails. Church Buttes hosted some very famous sermons back then, including one delivered by Brigham Young himself. The Mormon leader conducted religious services here at Church Buttes in July of 1847.
Church Buttes is one of those historical landmarks, with spiritual overtones. Rising out of the Badlands of southwestern Wyoming, Church Buttes is a majestic Wonder of Wyoming.